The Plaza 10K in Kansas City is the largest race of its kind in Missouri or Kansas. This annual event has become a staple of Plaza life. It’s a weekend thousands of Kansas Citians look forward to, and it even draws runners from all around the Midwest.
The first Plaza 10K was held in 2010. Since then, it has become an annual event with continually growing attendance and participation. In 2018, more than 3,000 runners participated in the Plaza 10K, with thousands of friends and family members cheering them on. That’s over 1,000 more runners than in the 2017 Plaza 10K, which shows the incredible growth this Plaza event has seen.
As the Plaza 10K continues to grow, we hope you can make it for this one-of-a-kind Kansas City event. Whether you are a runner or are just looking to support the race, there is plenty to do during the Plaza 10K in Kansas City. The shops, restaurants and race vendors all provide great service. You should visit as many stores and booths as you can, but nothing completes a Plaza 10K race day quite like Parkway Social Kitchen.
Parkway burst onto the Plaza’s dining scene in 2017 with widespread excitement from the KC food industry. We provide great food and good company to Plaza-goers every day, and we think you’ll find that Parkway is the best way to cap off a successful Plaza 10K.
What is the Plaza 10K?
The Plaza 10K in Kansas City is the largest 10K in either Missouri or Kansas. The course snakes around Brush Creek through the heart of the beautiful Country Club Plaza. It’s a flat and fast race, which makes it a great 10K for beginners and the perfect race for experience runners to set new personal records.
But, the Plaza 10K is about more than running records. This event is put on in partnership with Saint Luke’s Home Care and Hospice. A portion of proceeds from the Plaza 10K go toward benefiting Saint Luke’s vital services.
“When medical science can no longer add more days to a patient’s life, hospice care can add more life to each remaining moment,” according to the team at Saint Luke’s. That’s the mission supported by this race. Not only can you do something for yourself by running a great race through a beautiful district, you can also support this great cause.
When is the Plaza 10K?
The Plaza 10K is held near the end of summer each year. Race times and dates may change from year to year, and you can check for the most updated information on the Plaza 10K’s official website.
How do I Register for the Plaza 10K?
Registration for the Plaza 10K in Kansas City isn’t free, but it is affordable. Prices can vary year to year. The race offers registration on an early-bird pricing scale. That means the earlier you sign up, the cheaper the cost. Super early bird registration usually begins in February, and you can look on the Plaza 10K’s website for official pricing and registration information.
Things to do During the Plaza 10K
The Plaza is one of Kansas City’s most beautiful districts. It’s packed with more than 100 shops and over 30 restaurants for you to choose from. You’ll find the Plaza bustling with foot traffic any weekend of the year, but especially during the Plaza 10K. With this many choices, picking a handful of places to visit can feel overwhelming. Everything on the Plaza is worth seeing, but there are a few experiences you can’t miss during the Plaza 10K.
- Run the race. This one seems obvious, but it also seems like the right place to start. Get in there and set a personal record!
- Bring the whole family. There is a smaller kids’ race after the official 10K ends. Bring the whole family out and give your kids a chance to feel involved too.
- Visit the vendors after the race. The Plaza 10K features a variety of food and beverage options from local restaurants each year. The selection is always different, but it’s a great first stop after you finish the race. Or, maybe a great second stop, after you catch your breath and grab a drink to hydrate.
- Take in some live music. Check out the Plaza 10K’s concert stage after the race for live music from a rotation of great bands.
- Stroll down 47th The Plaza’s main strip is packed with great shops. Whatever you’re looking for, you can find it in a store on 47th Street.
- Finish things off at Parkway. Like we said earlier, Parkway Social Kitchen is the perfect way to end a great day at the Plaza 10K. We’re located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Ward Parkway, so you’ll run right by us as you’re coming up on the second mile of your race. Circle back around after you’re finished running for a menu that has something for the whole family. Our open-air restaurant, friendly staff and refreshing drinks are the perfect way to refuel after giving it your all during the Plaza 10K.
We hope you’ll make Parkway a part of your day during the annual Plaza 10K in Kansas City. You can call ahead or make reservations online for race day. We’ll see you then!